I have never given it a though, but there is apparently a limit to the length of file names that can be handled by Windows Explorer of Windows XP. I found out when trying to copy my Zotero folder to a computer with Windows XP. I was getting error message of folders that could not be copied, suggesting that my HD was full. I checked a few of these folders and they all contained one or more files with very long file names (>250 characters). Continue reading “Finding and renaming long file names with R”
In this post I was trying to find a way to get a list of GRASS data layers in R. The problem is running the GRASS function ‘g.list’ from R (using system or execGRASS from the spgrass6 package) gives a vector which can not be easily handled in R (i.e., it is not a nice vector with one layer name per vector element).
Finding the solution was a nice exersize in using the R functions gsub() and strsplit(), but today I realized that there is solution that is not only easier but also better and more flexible. Continue reading “Using the GRASS command g.mlist in R”
Running grass commands within R is easy using either the system function or the spgrass6 package. But sometimes the GRASS outputs are not easy to read into a data frame or vector. For example, what if you want a vector with all raster data layers in mapset ‘species’. Continue reading “Using the GRASS command g.list in R”
In OpenOffice / LibreOffice Calc, you would normally use CONCATENATE to combine strings from different cells, like in the example below: Continue reading “A concatenate function on steroids for OpenOffice calc”
If you want to understand what a certain function is doing, or you want to adapt it, you can type in the function without bracket on the command line. However, sometimes functions are ‘hidden’. Continue reading “Finding the code for a ‘hidden’ function in R”