Some links of software I am using or have used in the past and would recommend. For now it is a bare list of links (only adding whether it runs on Windows or Linux). The grouping is a bit arbitrarily, e.g., what category Spatialite falls under, databases or GIS?
GIS and spatial analysis
- GRASS GIS (Windows/Linux)
- Cedric’s GRASS GIS modules
- SAGA GIS (Windows/Linux)
- uDIG GIS (Windows/Linux)
- Quantum GIS (Windows/Linux)
- Spatialite (Windows/Linux) – spatially enabled SQLite database
- Kosmo GIS (Windows/Linux)
Plotting and data visualization
- RLPlot (with some basic statistic analysis, runs on Windows and Linux)
- QtiPlot (includes a nice set of basic statistic analyses. Note, both a commerical and free version are available)
- Ggobi (Windows / Linux)
Office, reference management and note taking
- OpenOffice or LibreOffice (Linux/Windows)
- Zim – A Desktop Wiki (Linux/Windows)
- Zotero – Tool to collect, manage, cite, and share your research sources (runs on all major platforms)
- GIMP (Windows / Linux)
- Inkscape (Windows / Linux)
- Digikam (I use this mainly as photo manager, for editing I prefer GIMP, runs on Linux, possibly on Windows too)
Web / online mapping
Contrary to the software listed above, I haven’t tried out much of the ones below. So no endorsement or recommendations, just a list I would like to take a look at one day.
And here a few I plan to try out.. one day
Work in progress, more to come...